Is CBD safe for pets like dogs and cats?
Just as there are trends in the human health industry, there are trends in the pet industry, too. CBD oil and its uses are extending from the human sector to the pet sector and there are various angles to consider when choosing to administer CBD to your pet dog or cat.
Fast Facts About CBD
- CBD is a compound from the hemp plant.
- The marijuana plant and the hemp plant are different and bred and grown for different end uses. Hemp was originally grown for the fibers it produces so it is tall. Marijuana is grown for its psychoactive properties in the flowers, so it is short and leafy.
- CBD does not make you (or your pet) high.
- What makes humans high is another compound from the plant called THC.
- Sometimes THC can be found in CBD, but it is so minuscule and the legal amount cannot be over .3%.
How Does CBD Work on Dogs?
Short answer: we don't know exactly. Scientists do know that CBD interacts with the CBD receptors the body has which works to keep bodies healthy and in balance.
Some anecdotal evidence has dog owners using CBD for their dog's joint pain and if a dog suffers from seizures. The American Kennel Club veterinarian Dr. Klein has confirmed use of CBD with dogs for the following ailments:
- heart problems
- upset stomach
- lack of appetite
Again, there is no scientific study to share conclusive evidence that CBD use in dogs and cats is necessarily effective.
Side Effects of CBD use with Dogs
Anecdotal reports have shown some possible side effects of CBD use with dogs noting the following:
- DRY MOUTH: Research has shown CBD can decrease the production of saliva. This can make for a thirsty dog.
- LOW BLOOD PRESSURE: High doses of CBD have been known to cause a temporary drop in blood pressure. Could make your pup light-headed.
- SLEEPY: Dog owners have used CBD to treat anxiety. The calming effect of CBD can also cause slight drowsiness, especially when using higher doses.
How to Shop for CBD for Pets
If you and your pet's vet choose a CBD approach for their wellness, here's how to find the best CBD:
- CHOOSE ORGANIC: You should choose organic for yourself, too, but if the CBD you choose is made with toxins and pesticides, don't even use it.
- GET SERIOUS: Do reading and research on the source of the CBD you land on. Where is it made, how is it made and are there 3rd party testing and verifications? There should be.
- LIQUID IS IDEAL: The easiest way to ensure your dog is getting everything they need from the CBD is to administer the CBD via liquid form. This is the best and easiest way to ensure your pet is getting correct amounts and the safest way to track and adjust amounts based on response.
Consider Natural Path Botanicals and our CBD for Pets. We grow our hemp plants on sustainable family farms using organic practices in Hayden, Colorado. Proudly grown in the USA and lab-tested to ensure purity.